Daron, Melanie, Stephen, Kassie, and Kenny

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

There's chocolate everywhere!




It’s still hard to believe we’re here in this beautiful country! Everyone dresses in dark colors (mostly black – I get lots of stares at my teal-colored warm-up suit) and everyone is thin… great motivation for me to keep RUNNING!! We did our first grocery (and souvenir  8-)) shopping today in ‘COOP’ – the neighborhood market.  I bought a carrot, but didn’t weight it and get the price sticker, so when I went to check out, the lady didn’t speak English and she had to get up and do it for me herself – all 4 people in line behind us sort of ‘harumph’ed and walked to a different line. We definitely felt like foreigners today… and the more I said – “I’m sorry!” the more they frowned at me. Oh well. Now I know how to say “I speak a little French” (je pal un puh (I don’t know how to spell it – but they said it in South Pacific) de Frances) so maybe next time they’ll see I’m trying to speak their language. But most people are so ready to jump in and be helpful and speak English – at the pizzeria tonight the waitress was so lovely – either SHE was lovely, or the mushroom pizza was lovely – it almost brought tears to my eyes, it was so good. Why do I love food so much? (Sterl, I know you're hearin' me on that one) I wonder if God ever enjoys a good slice of pizza and just smiles. I hope so. Anyhoo – we saw at a spa window today that you can get a chocolate wrap or a sugar exfoliation.  Can you imagine?? Only in Switzerland, the land of Chocolate. Tomorrow we spend the day at HP meeting with Daron’s new co-workers.

2 comments:

  1. Melanie it looks like you are ready to be a native! love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny, I never thought about what the Swiss might wear but now that you mention dark colors it makes sense. I say stick with the teal jogging suit! add some splash to their day. :o)

    I'm with you on the food thing. I love it! I thought of you tonight while eating my white chocolate. By the way, your hair is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete